Monday, October 15, 2012

Fluency

The three dimensions of fluency include accuracy in decoding, automatic processing, and prosodic reading.  Accuracy in decoding refers to a student's ability to sounds out words correctly.  Automatic processing refers to a student's ability to process the text in order to make meaning out of it.  Prosodic reading refers to student's ability to read with expression, make use of punctuation, and emphasize important words.

Here is an image that explains fluency:


I thoroughly enjoyed reading this article written by Timothy Rasinski.  Every wednesday, I tutor a third grade boy who is significantly below grade level in reading and I will add that English is his second language.  This article resonated with me because I feel that fluency is the aspect of reading that he struggles with most.

He reads in a monotone voice.  He doesn't observe punctuation marks.  He doesn't read with expression.  He doesn't read with intonation.  While he also struggles with decoding, I feel that his fluency deficit is really holding him back.  I know that he his lack of expression illustrates his lack of understanding of character emotion or suspense within the story.  I often ask him comprehension questions and ask him what emotions he thinks that the characters might be experiencing.  I feel that my inquiries have helped him somewhat with his comprehension and engagement of the text.

However, I desperately want him to read fluently with expression.  I think that he would enjoy the story so much more if he could really get a feel for the book's tone.

After reading this article, I think I am going to approach reading with him a little differently.  I might actually read some sentences first, exaggerating expression and punctuation.  I will then have him read after me and encourage him to read with similar expression.  I am excited to implement this strategy!  Hopefully he will develop into a more fluent, more engaged young reader.

Because the child I tutor also struggles with decoding and automatic processing, what strategy might I implement to address his deficits in all three dimensions: accuracy in decoding, automatic processing, and prosodic reading???

Also, once he is able to mirror my prosodic reading, how can I transition into helping him independently master prosodic reading?  How can I help him understand which words to emphasize or when to use an "excited" voice versus and "anxious" voice, for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment